• THE GOLDEN STUDY CLUB will meet on Thursday, 7 p.m. at the Commercial Trust Community Room. If members cannot attend, they are asked to call the hostesses Pansy Kean at 248-3543, Ronda Gerlt, 248-5237, or Brenda Mansfield, 248-3984.
• THE COMEDY PLAY “NOISES OFF” will run at The Little Theatre on the CMU campus Thursday through Saturday, Oct. 8 – 10, at 7:30 p.m.; and a Sunday, Oct. 11, matinee, beginning at 1:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for adults and $2 for students.
• THE NEW FRANKLIN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH will host a chili and soup supper on Friday at the New Franklin United Methodist Church, 4 to 7 p.m. Serving chili, vegetable soup, pimento cheese sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, homemade pie. Bake sale and craft items also for sale.
• A 5K GLOW RUN/WALK will take place on Friday after the Fayette High School football game. Runners will depart from the back bus parking lot (circle drive behind the high school). Cost is $25 (includes a Dri Fit shirt, a glow necklace and a bottle of water). For more information, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NEW FRANKLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL will host a 5K Fun Run on Saturday. Registration begins at 9 a.m. at the New Franklin Elementary School Circle Drive. Registration cost $20 for adults, $15 for middle/high school students, $10 for elementary students and free for preschoolers. School-age and older runners need to register by Sept. 25 in order to receive a T-shirt. To register, email Heather Beach at email@example.com or call the New Franklin Elementary School at 660-848-2112. Proceeds will go toward the School Literacy Fund.
• CMU BAND DAY is Saturday. Street competition will begin at 9 a.m. at the Courthouse Square in Fayette.
• THE FAYETTE MINISTERIAL ALLIANCE will host a fish fry on Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the First Baptist Church parking lot. There will be a choice of a sandwich for $6 or a dinner for $8. Dinner will consist of a fish sandwich, baked beans and coleslaw.
• BALDRIDGE SCHOOL will host a ham and bean dinner on Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Baldridge School is located three miles north of the junction of Highway 124 and North A.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY FAIRGROUND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION will host a dinner and auction at St. Joseph Church Hall on Saturday. Meal of chicken or pulled pork will be served from 6 to 7 p.m. An auction will follow the meal. Adults at the door pay $12; kids pay $7. Kids under 5 years old eat for free. (Advance tickets are $10 and $6 for adults and kids respectively. Available at Merchants and Farmers Bank or call 248-3337.) Proceeds go toward the maintenance and improvements at the Howard County Fairgrounds. For more information, call Joyce Diehls at 248-3383,, Steve Diehls at 248-3647, Mary Diehls at 248-3412 or Mae Schlotzhauer at 848-2410.
• THE FAYETTE AREA FIREMEN’S ANNUAL HOG ROAST will take place on Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Fayette Fire Station, 301 W. Morrison. Eat in or carry out. $7 per person. Home delivery within Fayette may be ordered by calling 248-1198. All proceeds go towards fire fighting and life saving equipment. Tours of the fire trucks and equipment will be given
• THE NEW FRANKLIN CITY COUNCIL will meet Monday, Oct. 12, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• THE FAYETTE ARMSTRONG COMMUNITY BETTERMENT GROUP will meet Tuesday, Oct. 13, at noon in the Commercial Trust Community Room. Guests are welcome.
• THE WHITE-BELL AMERICAN LEGION POST 273 AND AUXILIARY will hold a Flag Retirement Ceremony for the proper disposal of soiled, worn or torn American flags on Tuesday, Oct. 13, 6 p.m. at Shelter House No. 1 in the City Park. Anyone is welcome to bring their old flag. All veterans and their spouses are welcome.
• THE ASHBY-HODGE GALLERY OF AMERICAN ART is exhibiting “I Dream of Flying” featuring watercolorist Paul Jackson. Regular gallery hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. The ADA-accessible gallery is located on the main floor of Classic Hall on the CMU campus. Admission is free. The exhibit will run through Nov. 19. For more information or to set up special tours, contact Denise Gebhardt, curator, or Dr. Joe Geist, registrar of the collection, at 660-248-6304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• INFANT AND TODDLER STORY HOUR is hosted on Fridays, 11 a.m. at the Howard County Public Library. The stories are geared toward infants and toddlers, but all story lovers are welcome.
• THE MOBERLY AREA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL is holding regular meetings in Fayette and Glasgow. Fayette MAEDC meetings will be held on fourth Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at Walker Winter Insurance, 122 S. Main St. The Glasgow MAEDC meetings will be held on second Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Glasgow Public Works Building, 705 Washington. Business owners and individuals in Howard County are encouraged to arrange appointments with the MAEDC by calling 660-263-8811.
• THE MORRISON OBSERVATORY will be open Thursdays from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. through the months of September and October and on Nov. 5. Visitors will be able to use a variety of telescopes for viewing, weather permitting. The Observatory is located at 700 Park Road in Fayette next to the Fayette City Park. Free and open to the public.
• THE OUTREACH LIBRARIAN will be at the Armstrong Community Center from 2 to 5 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month and at the New Franklin City Hall from 2 to 5 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open every Monday from 3 to 4:30 p.m., every Wednesday from 9 to 10:30 a.m., and on the third Fridays from 9 to 10:30 a.m. when car seat inspections take place. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 are invited to drop in and play with their children anytime during play center hours. Located in the lower level of the Fayette High School, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books, CDs, videos, and resources for parents. The Play Center is always closed when school is not in session. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-248-3686.
• FREE ZUMBA CLASSES are being given on Sundays, 2 p.m. at the First Christian Church Multipurpose Building in Fayette. Sponsored by the Howard County Health and Wellness Council, all ages are welcome to attend. Lessons run through Nov. 22.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: at email@example.com.