• A BLOOD DRIVE will take place Wednesday, from 2 to 6 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 306 S. Cleveland Ave., Fayette. Sponsored by the Fayette Optimists Club.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY HUMAN SERVICE COUNCIL will meet on Thursday at noon in the Commercial Trust Community Room for a carry-in luncheon. Any agency that provides services in Howard County is welcome to attend to learn about area resources.
• FAYETTE CUB SCOUT PACK 62 will hold an annual Sign-Up for Scouting Night on Thursday, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Daly/Clark Multipurpose Room on Lucky Street. Come when you can during that time. All boys grades 1 to 4 are encouraged to attend with their parents to get more information.
• THE FRIENDS OF THE GLASGOW POOL COMMITTEE will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Lewis & Clark Community Room in Glasgow.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE RECYCLING SITE will be open on Friday by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call 248-5246 to schedule a drop-off of hazardous waste such as pesticides, paint, paint thinner, aerosol cans, fluorescent tubes, batteries, antifreeze, transmission fluid and adhesives. Sponsored by the cities of Fayette and New Franklin, Mid-Missouri Solid Waste Management District H and Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
• THE LINCOLN SCHOOL BELL will be dedicated Friday, Sept. 4, at 10 a.m. in front of the administration building, 705 Lucky St. The public is invited.
• MIKE'S DREAM 4TH ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER is Saturday, Sept. 5, 4 p.m., rain or shine at Hawgs & Heifers. The fundraiser will offer all-you-can-eat pork steak or chicken dinner. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Advanced tickets may be purchased at Hawgs & Heifers, Rosewood Antiques, Breadeaux Pizza, DJ”s Convenience Store and Paisley Bowtique & Floral Design. A silent auction, bake-off auction, 50/50 drawings and 50/50 pool tournament, double elimination will take place. The event raises funds for students who have a desire to excel academically and who need financial assistance.
• THE ASHBY-HODGE GALLERY OF AMERICAN ART will begin exhibiting “I Dream of Flying” featuring watercolorist Paul Jackson on Sunday, Sept. 6, from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. at which time the artist will be honored with a reception. Regular gallery hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. The ADA-accessible gallery is located on the main floor of Classic Hall on the CMU campus. Admission is free. The exhibit will run through Nov. 19. For more information or to set up special tours, contact Denise Gebhardt, curator, or Dr. Joe Geist, registrar of the collection, at 660-248-6304 or email@example.com.
• THE BOONSLICK FOLK FESTIVAL will take place on Labor Day, Sept. 7, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Boone’s Lick State Historic site. Sponsored by the Missouri State Parks and the Boonslick Area Tourism council, the affair features 19th century crafts and history.
• THE FAYETTE ARMSTRONG COMMUNITY BETTERMENT GROUP will meet Tuesday, Sept. 8, at noon in the Commercial Trust Community Room. Guests are welcome.
• THE WHITE-BELL AMERICAN LEGION POST 273 AND AUXILIARY will meet Tuesday, Sept. 8, 6 p.m. in Schnell Hall. All veterans and their spouses are welcome. There will not be a carry-in supper.
• THE BOONESBORO CEMETERY BOARD will meet Tuesday, Sept. 8, 6:30 p.m. at the Boonesboro Church.
• CAR SEAT INSTALLATION AND INSPECTION is available at the Parents As Teachers (PAT) Play Center on the third Friday of each month, 9 to 10:30 a.m. Certified technicians will check and assist with installation of children’s car seats. Free car seats are available to eligible families. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-728-3686.
• THE HELPING HANDS FOR HOWARD COUNTY is taking aluminum cans to help with Basket Bingo expenses. Cans may be dropped off at Merchants & Farmers Bank, Pat Hilgedick’s or David Jordan’s.
• INFANT AND TODDLER STORY HOUR is hosted on Fridays, 11 a.m. (note change in time) at the Howard County Public Library. The stories are geared toward infants and toddlers, but all story lovers are welcome.
• THE MOBERLY AREA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL is holding regular meetings in Fayette and Glasgow. Fayette MAEDC meetings will be held on fourth Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at Walker Winter Insurance, 122 S. Main St. The Glasgow MAEDC meetings will be held on second Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Glasgow Public Works Building, 705 Washington. Business owners and individuals in Howard County are encouraged to arrange appointments with the MAEDC by calling 660-263-8811.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open every Monday from 3 to 4:30 p.m., every Wednesday from 9 to 10:30 a.m., and on the third Fridays from 9 to 10:30 a.m. when car seat inspections take place. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 are invited to drop in and play with their children anytime during play center hours. Located in the lower level of the Fayette High School, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books, CDs, videos, and resources for parents. The Play Center is always closed when school is not in session. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-248-3686.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.