• THE HOWARD COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE RECYCLING SITE will be open on Friday, by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call 248-5246 to schedule a drop-off of hazardous waste such as pesticides, paint, paint thinner, aerosol cans, fluorescent tubes, batteries, antifreeze, transmission fluid and adhesives. Sponsored by the cities of Fayette and New Franklin, Mid-Missouri Solid Waste Management District H and Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
• THE FAYETTE FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS will take place Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on the courthouse grounds and at the Ashby-Hodge Gallery of American Art where adult art work will be displayed. The day-long program will include music, craft demonstrations, a cake contest, vintage vehicles, art contests and more.
• THE 14th ANNUAL FAYETTE SCHOOLS REUNION will be held Saturday. The main event will be a dinner at the Fayette High School Commons at 6:30 p.m. Alumni can make dinner reservations by sending $25 to Reunion 2014, P.O. Box 184, Fayette, Mo. 65248. For more information, call Beverly Markland at 660-248-2491 or Sarah Morrow at 660-248-3032.
• ST. PAUL UNITED METHODIST AND LINN MEMORIAL CHURCHES will host a Vacation Bible School from Monday through Friday, Aug. 4 through 8, 5 to 7:30 p.m. A meal will be provided each night. The Vacation Bible school session will conclude with a community pot luck on Friday, Aug. 8
• A MEET YOUR DEMOCRAT CANDIDATES EVENT will be held Monday, Aug. 4, 6 p.m. on the Courthouse Square. Democrat Women will serve sandwiches and pie. Candidates will speak at 7 p.m.
• THE FAYETTE CITY PLANNING AND ZONING COMMISSION will meet Monday, Aug. 4, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• THE PRIMARY ELECTION is Tuesday, Aug. 5.
• THE 4-H/FFA HORSE SHOW will be Tuesday, Aug. 5, 5 p.m. at the Howard County Fairgrounds. The Howard County 4-H Council will serve hamburgers, nachos and walking tacos. In case of rain, the show will be held at the Lazy B Arena. To confirm location of show or for more information, contact Ted Stevens at 660-248-3139.
• THE 2014 UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI EXTENSION FARM TOUR will highlight two places on Tuesday, Aug. 5. The tour will leave the Howard County Courthouse at 6 p.m. sharp. Participants will visit the Horticulture and Agroforestry Research Center and Jennings in New Franklin. Participants are encouraged to car pool and will need to provide a dish to share for the carry-in dinner which will be held immediately following the last tour stop.
• THE FAYETTE CITY COUNCIL will meet Tuesday, Aug. 5, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• THE OUTREACH LIBRARIAN will be available Wednesday from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the New Franklin City Hall.
• EBT BENEFITS ARE WORTH DOUBLE THEIR VALUE at the Fayette Farmers Market which is open on Tuesdays, 4 to 7 p.m., on the southeast corner of the courthouse lawn.
• THE MOBERLY AREA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL will hold regular meetings in Fayette and Glasgow. Fayette MAEDC meetings will be held on fourth Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at Walker Winter Insurance, 122 S. Main St. The Glasgow MAEDC meetings will be held on second Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Glasgow Public Works Building, 705 Washington. Business owners and individuals in Howard County are encouraged to arrange appointments with the MAEDC by calling 660-263-8811.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open from 9 to 10:30 a.m. on the following dates: July 30; August 13, 15, 27. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 are invited to drop in and play with their children anytime during play center hours. Located in the lower level of the Fayette High School, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books, CDs, videos, and resources for parents. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-248-3686.
• SUNDAY MORNING SERVICES AT LINN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH will be held in the Recital hall in the north wing of the CMU Swinney Conservatory of Music at 9:30 a.m. Child care will be provided as usual in the nursery rooms of the Parish House adjacent to the Linn sanctuary. The move is temporary to accommodate sanctuary renovations.
• NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS meets Mondays, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., at the First Baptist Church Educational Building, 101 W. Davis St. in Fayette.
• THE HELPING HANDS FOR HOWARD COUNTY (FORMERLY MERCHANTS & FARMERS RELAY TEAM) is taking aluminum cans to help with Basket Bingo expenses. Cans may be dropped off at Merchants & Farmers Bank, Pat Hilgedick’s or David Jordan’s.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: email@example.com.