• THE HOWARD COUNTY HUMAN SERVICE COUNCIL will meet on Thursday at noon in the Commercial Trust Community Room. Any agency that provides services in Howard County is welcome to attend to learn about area resources.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE RECYCLING SITE will be open on Friday by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Call 248-5246 to schedule a drop-off of hazardous waste such as pesticides, paint, paint thinner, aerosol cans, fluorescent tubes, batteries, antifreeze, transmission fluid and adhesives. Sponsored by the cities of Fayette and New Franklin, Mid-Missouri Solid Waste Management District H and Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
• UNITY BAPTIST CHURCH will show the movie “Frozen,” on Friday at dusk in the parking lot. Bring lawn chairs and plan on cool weather. Popcorn and soft drinks will be provided.
• THE FIRST ANNUAL FAYETTE AREA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BACKYARD BBQ COMPETITION will take place at the Fayette City Park on Saturday. Cooking starts at 9 a.m. and judging will begin at 2 p.m. There will also be a 5K race to begin at 9 a.m., a Children’s Burger contest to begin at 11 a.m., an Open Disc Golf Tournament to begin at 1 p.m., and a concluding ceremony announcing winners at 5 p.m.
• THE BOONESBORO CEMETERY FALL FESTIVAL will take place Saturday at the Boonesboro Church. Serving begins at 5 p.m. to be followed by a live auction. Soup, chili, sandwiches and desserts will be available. Donations are welcomed for the auction. For more information, call Steve at 621-4592; Janie, 848-2729; or Darrell at 728-3802.
• THE FAIRGROUND DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION will host a chicken or pulled pork dinner and silent and live auction on Saturday at St. Joseph Church Hall. Meal time is 6 to 7 p.m. Adults eat for $10; kids ages 5 to 12, $6; children under 5 eat for free. Auction starts after the meal. Proceeds will go toward a new community building at the fairgrounds.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY DEMOCRAT WOMEN will meet for a carry-in lunch and meeting on Monday, Oct. 6, at noon, at Schnell Hall. All Democrats are invited to attend.
• PEO CHAPTER AU will meet Monday, Oct. 6, 7:15 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. Kathy Masonholder will serve as hostess and Donna Merrell will provide the program. Regrets to Kathy Masonholder.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY UNIT OF MISSOURI RETIRED TEACHERS will meet Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 1:30 p.m. at Schnell hall in Fayette. Retired teachers in Howard County are invited to attend.
• THE FAYETTE CITY COUNCIL will meet Tuesday, Oct. 7, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• EBT BENEFITS ARE WORTH DOUBLE THEIR VALUE at the Fayette Farmers Market which is open on Tuesdays, 3:30 to 6:30 p.m., on the southeast corner of the courthouse lawn.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.