• THE HOWARD COUNTY FAIR is running Wednesday through Sunday. The prince, princes, queen and teen contests will be today at 6 p.m. at the Howard County Fairgrounds.
• A STAFF MEMBER FROM CONGRESSWOMAN VICKY HARTZLER’S OFFICE will be in Fayette today, 9 to 10:30 a.m. in the Howard County Courthouse. Hartzler invites constituents of the 4th Congressional District to come, ask questions, share opinions.
• “EVERY HERO HAS A STORY” SUMMER READING PROGRAM will kick off on Thursday, 6:30 p.m. with black kettle cooking in front of the Howard County Public Library. The public is invited.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY PROGRESSIVES will host their monthly potluck and discussion on Saturday, 6:30 p.m. at 401 Commerce St., Glasgow. Newcomers always welcome.
• THE FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH will host a Sunday Night Light service on Sunday, from 5:30 to 6 p.m. Communion and brief sermon. First Christian Church is located at 307 N. Church St., Fayette.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY FARM BUREAU will host their annual Strawberry Festival on Tuesday, June 30, 6:30 p.m. at the Fayette City Park, lower shelter house.
• DONATIONS FOR FIREWORKS are being accepted by the City of Fayette for the July 4th fireworks display in the City Park. To donate, call city hall at 248-5246.
• FRESH GARDEN PRODUCE will be sold at the Clark Middle School parking lot on Thursdays from noon to 1 p.m. throughout the month of June. Produce is grown and harvested by Fayette School students in the Fayette School garden.
• DONATIONS FOR MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PERSONNEL SERVING OVERSEAS will be accepted at the MU Extension Center in the Keller Building in Fayette through July 1. Supplies that are needed are deodorant, soap, jerky, hard candy, gum, chap stick, sunflower seeds, and packets of drink mix for water bottles. Personal notes of appreciation will also be accepted and mailed.
• STORYHOURS will be hosted at the Howard County Public Library at 10 a.m. on Fridays through the month of June. Young patrons are encouraged to attend.
• SUMMER MEALS will be served to young people (18 and younger) at the Clark Middle School Cafeteria throughout the month of June. Meals will be served Mondays through Thursdays. Meals will not be served on Fridays. Breakfast will be served from 7:30 to 7:55 a.m. and lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. For more information, call Daly/Clark Schools at 248-3800.
• THE FAYETTE AREA COMMUNITY THEATER is looking for someone to direct this summer. A slot is open for late summer. Persons who are interested are asked to send a message on Facebook, email email@example.com, or call 660-833-8690.
• THE ASHBY-HODGE GALLERY OF AMERICAN ART is exhibiting “3 Summer Shows,” works by Carol Hatting Bramon (“Missouri Impressions”) and the late James J. Froese (“Kansas Impressions”); plus items from the Ashby-Hodge Gallery (“Small is Big”). The Gallery is open Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:30-4:30 p.m.; and other times by appointment. Located in Classic Hall, south end of Central Methodist University campus in Fayette, Mo., there is parking in the lot at Elm and Church Streets. It is handicap accessible. There is no admissions fee. The current show runs through July 23.
• THE HELPING HANDS FOR HOWARD COUNTY (FORMERLY MERCHANTS & FARMERS RELAY TEAM) is taking aluminum cans to help with Basket Bingo expenses. Cans may be dropped off at Merchants & Farmers Bank, Pat Hilgedick’s or David Jordan’s.
• THE MOBERLY AREA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL will hold regular meetings in Fayette and Glasgow. Fayette MAEDC meetings will be held on fourth Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at Walker Winter Insurance, 122 S. Main St. The Glasgow MAEDC meetings will be held on second Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Glasgow Public Works Building, 705 Washington. Business owners and individuals in Howard County are encouraged to arrange appointments with the MAEDC by calling 660-263-8811.
• THE OUTREACH LIBRARIAN will be at the Armstrong Community Center from 2 to 5 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month and at the New Franklin City Hall from 2 to 5 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays.
• CAR SEAT INSTALLATION AND INSPECTION is available at the Parents As Teachers (PAT) Play Center on the third Friday of each month, 9 to 10:30 a.m. Certified technicians will check and assist with installation of children’s car seats. Free car seats are available to eligible families. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-728-3686.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open from 9 to 10:30 a.m. on the following dates during the summer: July 8, 15, 17, 22, 29; Aug. 5 and 21. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 are invited to drop in and play with their children anytime during play center hours. Located in the lower level of the Fayette High School, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books, CDs, videos, and resources for parents. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-248-3686.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.