• JUNETEENTH will take place Saturday around the courthouse square.
• HEALTHY COOKING DEMO by Howard County Health and Wellness Council begins at 11 a.m. on courthouse lawn Saturday. Free samples.
• 2nd ANNUAL MOVIE ON THE LAWN will be held Saturday at the Moniteau Chapel Church on Route W, 7 miles southeast of Fayette. Cookout, games, bouncy house begin at 6 p.m. Movie begins at dusk. For more information, call Doug at 573-303-1473.
• A PORK STEAK DINNER will be held Sunday, at Fayette C&R Supermarket parking lot, beginning at 11 a.m. Proceeds will help send Sara Montgomery to Australia to compete in Track & Field Down Under Games. Desserts will also be available.
• THE FRIENDS OF CLARK’S CHAPEL will hold a service Sunday at 5 p.m. Persons of all faiths are invited to join in worship.
• A STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL will be held Monday at 6:30 p.m. at the lower shelter house in the Fayette City Park. Sponsored by the Howard County Farm Bureau, the event offers an opportunity to meet local elected officials.
• PEO CHAPTER GG will meet Monday, 7 p.m. at the home of Diana Westfall, 881 State Route H.
• THE FAYETTE HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION will meet Monday, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• THE FAYETTE CITY COUNCIL will host a public hearing on Tuesday, 6:45 p.m., at city hall, about proposed water and sewer rate increases that would go into effect July 31. Water rates are proposed to increase 50 cents and sewer rates 25 cents. At 7 p.m., the regular meeting of the council will begin.
• THE FAYETTE-HOWARD LODGE #4 A.F. & A.M. will meet Tuesday, 7 p.m. in the Fayette Masonic Temple.
• THE OUTREACH LIBRARIAN will be available Wednesday from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the New Franklin City Hall.
• THE FAYETTE SCHOOL BOARD will meet Wednesday at 6 p.m., in the media center.
• THE NEW FRANKLIN SCHOOL BOARD will meet Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the media center.
• THE HOWARD COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY will host “Dig into Reading” program on Thursday, June 20, 6:30 p.m. Plants and seeds will be part of treasures and digging.
• THE OPTIMIST CLUB TRACTOR PULL will take place next Saturday, June 22, at the Howard County Fairgrounds.
• SUMMER MEALS FOR KIDS will be provided Monday through Friday (through June 27) at the Fayette High School. Breakfast is served from 7:30 to 7:55 a.m. and lunch is served from 11 to 11:55 a.m. Meals will be provided free of charge to all children aged 18 and younger and eligible disabled adults.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open in the summer from 9 to 10:30 a.m. on July 10, 17, 24, 31 and Aug. 7. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 who live within the Fayette R-III School District are invited to come with their children. Located on the lower level of the FHS building, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books and resources for parents.
• THE ASHBY-HODGE GALLERY OF AMERICAN ART is presenting “Three from Fayette,” which features three local artists — Roger Medearis (1920-2001), Edna Schenk (1913-2007) and Monte Crews (1888-1946) — who have found success in their talents. The gallery is open Sundays and Tuesdays through Thursdays from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. or by appointment through Aug. 4. Tours may be arranged, and the building is disability accessible through the parking lot (west side) of Classic Hall. For more information, contact Curator Dr. Joe Geist at 660-248-6304 (office) or 660-248-6324 (gallery).
• THE NEW FRANKLIN BRUSH PILE will be for brush only. Grass clippings and leaves will not be accepted. Bagged grass clippings and leaves can be placed at the curb on Fridays for weekly trash collection.
• THE SOUTH HOWARD COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM will be open to the public Wednesdays from 1 to 3 p.m., and on Saturdays and Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m. or by appointment. For more information or to make an appointment for a special tour, call 660-888-0836 or 573-673-3157. The museum is located in downtown New Franklin.
• ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS meets Saturdays, 8 p.m., at the Fayette First Christian Church Multipurpose Building (307 N. Church St. in Fayette). For more information, call 660-248-9885 or 660-537-5867.
• NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS meets Mondays, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., at the First Baptist Church Educational Building, 101 W. Davis St. in Fayette.
• OATS TRANSPORTATION leaves Howard County for Moberly the first Monday of the month. To schedule a ride, call Barbara Blair a week ahead of time at 248-2984. To ride is $6. It takes six people to make a trip. To take an OATS bus to Columbia, call the OATS Columbia office at 1-800-269-6287.
• THE HELPING HANDS FOR HOWARD COUNTY (FORMERLY MERCHANTS & FARMERS RELAY TEAM) is taking aluminum cans to help with Basket Bingo expenses. Cans may be dropped off at Merchants & Farmers Bank, Pat Hilgedick’s or David Jordan’s.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: email@example.com.