• A BOOK SIGNING for Chuck Thompson’s “Shovels and C-Rations: Recollections of a Seabee in Vietnam 1968-1969” will be held Saturday, 10 a.m. at the Howard County Public Library.
• PET ADOPTION AND WELFARE SERVICE (PAWS)’S “LOVE IS IN THE AIR” silent auction and benefit concert will take place Saturday, 4 to 6 p.m. at First Christian Church. $5 admission fee with maximum of $20 for families. To donate to the silent auction or for more information, call Bekki Galloway at 660-248-3763.
• “A VALENTINE TOAST TO OPERA AND MUSICALS” is being presented Saturday and Sunday, at the Swinney Conservatory of Music. Saturday performance begins at 7:30 p.m. Sunday matinee is 2 p.m. General admission is $7; seniors, CMU staff and faculty, $5; and students with ID, $2. For ticket information, call 660-248-6317.
• THE FAYETTE SENIOR CENTER will host a soup and sandwich fundraiser on Sunday. Vegetable soup, chili, hot dogs, baked potato, cheese sandwiches, pies, and cakes will be served. Carry-outs available. $7 for all you care to eat.
• THE FAYETTE LICENSE BUREAU will be closed Monday in observance of President’s Day.
• THE FAYETTE CITY COUNCIL will meet Tuesday, 7 p.m. in city hall.
• A STAFF MEMBER FROM SENATOR ROY BLUNT’S OFFICE will be in Fayette on Wednesday, Feb. 17, from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Howard County Courthouse. Blunt invites constituents to come, ask questions, share opinions. For more information, call the senator’s office at 573-442-8151.
• THE FAYETTE SCHOOL BOARD will meet Wednesday, Feb. 17, 6:30 p.m., in the media center.
• THE NEW FRANKLIN SCHOOL BOARD will meet next Wednesday, Feb. 17, at 7 p.m. in the media center.
• P.E.O. CHAPTER AU will have their winter social meeting next Saturday, Feb. 20, at the Community United Methodist Church in Columbia, Mo. at 9:30 a.m.. If you would like to car pool, please be at Rosewood by 8:30 a.m. RSVP to Beverly Markland no later than Wednesday, Feb. 17.
• THE ASHBY-HODGE GALLERY OF AMERICAN ART is featuring an exhibit on Brazilian history and culture. “Bandits & Heroes, Poets & Saints: Popular Art from the Northeast of Brazil” is open through March 16 in Classic Hall on the Central Methodist University campus in Fayette. A special reception is set for Sunday from 1:30-4:30 p.m. Gallery hours are 1:30-4:30 p.m. on Sundays and Tuesdays through Thursdays. For more information or to inquire about special tours, contact Denise Gebhardt, curator, or Joe Geist, registrar of the collection, at 660-248-6304, or by email at email@example.com.
• FLU VACCINES will be given at the Howard County Health Department on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m. Appointments may be made or walk-ins welcome on a first come, first served basis. Bring Medicare card or Medicare supplemental insurance cards. Cost for the regular flu shot will be $20 for non-Medicare and private pay clients.
• INFANT AND TODDLER STORY HOUR is hosted on Fridays, 11 a.m. at the Howard County Public Library. The stories are geared toward infants and toddlers, but all story lovers are welcome.
• THE MOBERLY AREA ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL is holding regular meetings in Fayette and Glasgow. Fayette MAEDC meetings will be held on fourth Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at Walker Winter Insurance, 122 S. Main St. The Glasgow MAEDC meetings will be held on second Tuesdays, 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the Glasgow Public Works Building, 705 Washington. Business owners and individuals in Howard County are encouraged to arrange appointments with the MAEDC by calling 660-263-8811.
• THE OUTREACH LIBRARIAN will be at the Armstrong Community Center from 2 to 5 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month and at the New Franklin City Hall from 2 to 5 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays.
• THE PARENTS AS TEACHERS PLAY CENTER will be open every Monday from 3 to 4:30 p.m., every Wednesday from 9 to 10:30 a.m., and on the third Fridays from 9 to 10:30 a.m. when car seat inspections take place. Parents with children ages 0 to 5 are invited to drop in and play with their children anytime during play center hours. Located in the lower level of the Fayette High School, the PAT Play Center offers educational toys, a toy library, children’s books, CDs, videos, and resources for parents. The Play Center is always closed when school is not in session. For more information, contact Nancy Holtwick at 660-248-3686.
• FREE ZUMBA CLASSES are offered on Mondays, 6:30 p.m. through March 14 at the First Christian Church Multipurpose Building on North Church Street in Fayette. All ages and abilities welcome. Sponsored by the Howard County Health and Wellness Council.
* * * * * * * *
Noted in Brief news may be emailed, faxed, brought in person, sent via mail, or dropped after hours in the paper’s front door slot (203 N. Main St.). Mail: P.O. Box 32, Fayette, Mo. 65248. Email: at firstname.lastname@example.org.